Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Drinking and Driving...

So since the middle of January I've debated on whether I should discuss my brothers wreck in full detail on my blog. Obviously I finally came to the conclusion that I should, and obviously judging by my title his wreck was caused from drinking.

Let me start off by saying that I have never been a fan of drinking and driving. My best friend Brittany and I have always been very serious about the subject and always made sure that one of us was DD. If neither wanted to be DD that night then we stayed where ever it was that we were drinking at. Is this to say that I'm perfect and that I've never made stupid decisions while drunk...no it's not. I've made plenty of stupid decisions while drinking, but I can say that I've always been pretty responsible with the drinking and driving. Not only for myself but friends as well. To my brothers story though...

It was January 15th (his 29th birthday)and he decided to go out and celebrate. From what I can gather he met at a local restaurant to meet with friends and had some drinks there. Now either before this or after, he went by the liquor store (used my money while I was unaware)and bought a huge bottle of Jager.

So not only did he have drinks but he drank an entire bottle of Jager to himself. Then chose to drive. I'm angry with that. I'm angry he made that choice and I'm angry that the friends he was with didn't fight him on it. Now I in no way blame them for what happened because my brother is a big boy and knows right from wrong. I am angry however that they want to call themselves friends of his. FRIENDS wouldn't have allowed it. Because of these choices, this is what happened....






You can tell in this last picture that the big block engine in the truck was shoved clear in the the cab of the truck from hitting the metal pole.

There are a thousand ways I could have and judging by the damage should have lost my brother that night. Even writing this right now I'm sick just thinking about it. Technically because the engine was shoved into the cab of the truck he should have lost his legs which in turn could have caused him to bleed to death. Luckily though the door was pushed open and because the truck is old it didn't have seat belts and he was thrown from the truck. On the way out though, his coat caught on something jerking him and breaking his neck. Had it happened a fraction differently he could have broke his neck completely and died instantly. Even after being thrown from the truck he could have died. He could have laid there with internal injuries with no one finding him and died, or because he was thrown into the road he could have been run over by a car.Not to mention my brother and the truck could have caught on fire when the gas line broke and covered him with gas. A million things could have happened to him that night! I truly believe that it took his guardian angel and God himself pulling Ron out of his wreck that night.

While I've been thinking/dealing with this for a while I stumbled across the perfect song to explain that night. Absolutely PERFECT



Similarities

1. We believe he was coming home and where he had the wreck he would have been turning "I've never taken this curve driving this fast before"
2. Wreck happened at a stoplight "glowing stop sign"
3. "No seat belts attached to my door"
4. "my speed meter don't work" meter was broken in the truck
5. "I'm gonna guess 95" cops estimate he was doing 80mph
6. "Bottle of bourbon is gone" all of the alcohol was gone in the Jager bottle
7. "it's been raining all night" roads were wet
8. "well my 63 ford is a bull" dad's truck was truly a beast and definitely not some crappy put together new model of a truck
9. "but metal surrenders when oak trees meet fenders" metal surrenders when hitting a metal light pole
10. "and engines go through the front seat" the engine was literally in the front seat with him
11. "and a gas line broke in the wreck"
12."I walked through the ashes with just a few scratches, my crucifix warm on my neck" in the whole scheme of things Ron walked away with scratches compared to what could have happened
13. "well my good lord was with me tonight, just riding beside me tonight" like I said Ron had God himself pull him out

This was a wake up call for my brother, what he does with it from here is on him. Maybe he'll fix things and maybe he won't, but it's up to him. I hope with everything I have that he makes the right choices from here on out. Even if this situation doesn't help him, maybe it will make my son or his children think twice about doing this when they get older. Or for that matter, maybe someone will read this post and think twice for themselves.

*side note* Can someone explain to me how $400 tools can get broken but the Jager bottle came out with not one crack in it?!?.....Jager is pure evil in my opinion and a whole different topic in itself!

0 comments: